Bad Art & Man's Best Friend



I turn and my aesthetic reels
As if hit with a blunt object
I see
What I have been told is street art

Abstract in that it is badly rendered
Expressionistic in that I think I recognize it as an object
It is wrought iron
And not rusting fast enough

I sense the art
But only in the deceitful poetry
Of the budget proposal
That spawned this shite

Those council led
And counseled words
“Fusion”
“Respect for Environment”
“Old Meets New”
“Inclusion”
“Social Commentary and Iconic Landmark”

Fabulous and artistic lies

Our children will look at it
Reluctant to melt it down
To put the material to some more productive and artistic use
Like parking meter poles
Or manhole covers

They will fail to label it correctly
As folly without humor

As unintentional satire
An expensive symbol
Of political expedience

No... They will perpetuate
And create new lies
“Part of the community”
“Culture of an era past…
… Demanding conservation”

As if antique
Means
Somehow worth preserving

I see a dog cock its leg
Spraying his nectar of corrosion

I consider this canine
And erosive commentary

I buy some street-meat from a nearby vendor
Tear it into small pieces
And scatter it at the statuary base

Artists need encouragement
But we must also feed our critics

No comments:

Post a Comment